Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Easy and yummy. Even my husband who hates cabbage thinks these are great. High in Iron and Protein, and Vitamins A, B, & C. Can also be made in the crockpot instead of oven, just place rolls seasmside down in crockpot, pour in sauce, cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hours. (Recipes courtesy of Food.com - littleturtle.)
For 5 Servings(s) ()
- 0.13 pound(s) pork sausage or 1⁄8 lb ground pork
- 12 large cabbage leaves
- 0.5 cup(s) rice, cooked with
- 1.13 pound(s) ground elk or 1 1⁄8 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter (1 cup rice when cooked)
- 1 egg
- 0.33 cup(s) milk
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 0.25 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon(s) sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) paprika
- 1.5 tablespoon(s) onions, grated
- 1.5 tablespoon(s) celery, diced
- 0.25 cup(s) shredded carrot
- 0.5 cup(s) cabbage, shredded
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Directions
- Cut 12 large leaves off of cabbage head, cover leaves with boiling water, let stand until leaves are limp (2-3 minutes); then drain OR core cabbage head, and boil cabbage until leaves are tender enough to remove easily (10-15 minutes), very carefully remove 12 large leaves (You may have to peel the outer layers first and then return the cabbage to cook and continue peeling the leaves until all are done); then drain.
- Mix beef, pork, rice, egg, milk, seasonings, and vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put 1-4 tablespoons (depending on size of leaf) of meat mixture in center of each leaf; tuck in sides and roll to cover meat (I roll any leftover filling into meatballs and cook them with the cabbage rolls).
- Place, seam side down in baking dish.
- Mix tomato sauce with the sugar; pour over rolls.
- Cover and bake for 45-60 minutes.