Hearty Heart warming comfort food. Serve with good rye bread. The secret of Bigos is that it gets better as it's reheated. The more it heated the better it gets. I like cooking it most the day.This is a great make ahead meal. I posted this recipe using all pork but go ahead and add venison, veal, beef.... I also do add juniper which I love! Then throw in fresh Parsley and marjoram. (Recipes courtesy of Food.com - Rita.)
Category: Main Dishes - Author: Ready in: 20m - Cooking time: 3h -
For 14 Servings(s) ()
- 4 pound(s) sauerkraut, rinsed
- 1 cup(s) apple juice
- 1 pound(s) smoked pork butt
- 1 pound(s) spareribs
- 0.25 pound(s) bacon
- 28 ounce(s) can tomatoes
- 2 cup(s) water
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 pound(s) heads of cabbage
- 1 pound(s) pork loin chops or 1 lb country-style pork ribs
- 1 pound(s) smoked kielbasa
- 0.5 cup(s) onion (chopped)
- 16 ounce(s) fresh mushrooms
- 1 ounce(s) mushroom (dried)
- 2 tablespoon(s) flour
Hunter's Stew Directions
- Brown pork and spareribs in a large heavy pot.
- Add smoked butt with 1 cup of water and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the sauerkraut and one cup apple juice.
- Chop the cabbage fine and add to sauerkraut.
- Add lots of pepper and salt cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove lid and keep pot on a very low simmer.
- In a pan, fry bacon until crisp, then crumble into sauerkraut mixture.
- Remove most of the bacon fat and fry onions and mushrooms and flour until they just brown.
- Mix into sauerkraut mixture.
- Cut kielbasa into slices add to sauerkraut mixture with the tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, simmer 30 minutes and serve hot with rye bread and mashed potatoes.